Entry 4


This Second Language Acquisition class has given me new insight and a completely different mindset on second language teaching and learning. A lot of different topic and theories were given and introduced during this course and I believe that every single one of them are important in their own way when dealing with second language acquisition. Lourdes Ortega does a great job in her book Understanding Second Language Acquisition, to help explain the many theories in this course and explain them in ways where people that are brand new to this topic can understand easily.
A very simple yet interesting topic in this course was the differences of naturalistic learners and instructed learners in the field of second language acquisition. Ortega explains naturalistic learners as people who “learn the L2 through informal opportunities in multicultural neighborhoods, schools, and workplaces, without ever receiving any organized instruction…” (Ortega, pg. 6) On the other hand, instructional learners would be direct opposite of naturalistic learners where they do have a formal form of learning such as: school, lessons, tutors, universities, and so on. Although there are two different types of learning, people are actually benefited by both types. I learned through this class that people are in most cases, naturalistic and instructed. People are benefit in instructed learning because of the obvious learning of the second language and learning the fundamentals and learning how to speak. Although people can learn the same in naturalistic setting, there are other things that they can learn through these settings such as: slang, work-related terms, and things that a regular formal lesson would not teach a person. I thought this was a very interesting topic in second language acquisition although it sounds very simple, it goes really in depth into the learning experience.
This class will impact my professional career as a teacher in a way where if I have second language English learners in the classroom, I will have a better understanding of how I may be able to work with them through this class. This class has given me a very good introduction and start of a foundation in what it takes to teach English language learners and what to do and what not to do. Living in America and especially in Houston, where there is so much diversity in a huge city, there are so many different ethical groups that you will never know who you will meet being in the teaching profession.
It was actually my first time using Vlogs for the first time and it was an interesting form of learning exercising what I learned during the class semester. Although it was interesting, I did not think it really helped me learn the material at hand and I found myself learning more through self-teaching and reading the textbook on my own time. I found motivation decreasing because of the Vlogs and my motivation would be higher by just reading the textbooks or having some sort of lecture feature. For example, I found myself procrastinating the Vlogs activities and towards the end of the due date. Although not enjoying the Vlogs, I was open to try anything for the first time and it allowed me to learn what I liked and didn’t like. Communicating with the classmates were the positive side of the Vlogs because I got to see what the other classmates thought about the theories in this class and got to see in a different point of view. 
In conclusion, I learned that learning in both formal and informal setting both have their benefits to second language learning and they bring two different sides of learning to the table. I also learned what type of learning format I dislike and it was interesting to try this new form of learning. Ultimately through this class, I the basic skills and fundamentals in SLA so that I may be prepared as a future teacher for any student that may be in my class that is a L2 English speaker. 
               
Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2013. Print. 

Comments

  1. Hi Joseph,
    I enjoyed reading your reflection and think your interest in the topic of the differences of naturalistic and instructed learners was interesting. I agree with what you said about most people being both naturalistic and instructed learners. Ortega states (2013), that “Most people, therefore, learn additional languages from a mixture of both naturalistic and instructed experiences” (p.6). I would say that I am a mixture of both naturalistic and instructed learners. Although I am far from fluent in Spanish, I managed to pick up on some Spanish naturally through my workplace and social involvements, but I am also an instructed learner as I learned some Spanish over the course of this class through a formal way of studying. Overall, I too think this topic is interesting and am curious as to what learner you think you are in learning a L2.

    Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2013, Print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel,

    I am glad that I see someone that agrees with me and having same personal experiences when learning a language through both naturalistic and instructed modes of learning! I would say so myself that I am both a naturalistic and instructed as well with my learning of Korean. I took Korean class courses yearly at a young age, along with spending time with a lot of Korean friends and family that would also help with my progression in the language. I think the real main difference in instructed vs. naturalistic in my personal opinion is that the naturalistic is a lot more "fun" in a way that you don't realize yourself learning the language when you are spending time and talking to friends. However, the instructed learning does help as well when it comes down to learning the grammar, alphabets, and technicalities of the language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Joseph, I enjoyed reading your blog reflection on naturalistic versus instructed learners. As we have learned in our text, most L2 learners, learn from a mixture of both natural and instructed settings. Ortega states, “Focusing on episodic memory and conceptual development, Aneta Pavlenko (1999) has explored the hypothesis that L2 words learned in naturalistic contexts allow for the encoding of richer information in episodic memory than L2 words learned in classrooms, because the former are learned more experientially and the latter more declaratively,” (2013, pg. 89). This suggest that natural environments facilitate a more rich and deeper learning of the L2 than the classroom does. In my own opinion, I feel that this could definitely be true. I am not fluent in Spanish, but the words I have picked up from my friends have stuck with me longer than words I tried to learn through instruction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Christine,

      I really like the corroborating points you bring to the table when talking about how naturalistic vs. instructed learning. I could see how naturalistic learning can being a deeper and more richer information because of how static the classroom and instructed learning can be. In the classroom, it is all about rules, syntax, memorizing grammar, and it is very linear, but in the naturalistic learning path, there are so many other factors that one can learn. I can also see when you say that learning through friends allows information to stick better because when we are talking with friends, we are fully engaged and having a good time while the classroom setting can be dull, boring and people can lose concentration.

      Delete

Post a Comment